Friday, November 14, 2008

Commercial Dog Food

I feed my dogs a little commercial dry dog food (dry kibble) once a day after their usual home-cooked dinner. Recently I have been reading a lot of articles from the internet on pet food recalled and also ingredients of commercial pet food. I fe el so guilty of feeding my dogs with such unhealthy food. I am thinking of not feeding them any commercial dry food from now on. As if later, they developed any serious illness, I do not know what to do as there are no Animal Hospital in Brunei and the local vets are not fully equipped.
According to one of the articles from the internet, one of the main ingredient we see from the commercial dog food is "Meat-by-product", Meat by-product refers to animal parts that are not actually meat and often includes intestines, bones, brain, stomach, lungs, kidneys etc. Disgusting!
Preservatives are also one of the dangerous additions to dog food. They are used to extend the shelf-life of the products, improve the tastes. Common preservatives are BHT, BHA, Ethoxyquin which is used as pesticide.
And those colorful kibbles, red & green are all colorings which is also harmful to our dogs.
There's a recent recall of Pedigree Dog & Cat Treat in the U.S. and also IAMS pet food has been boycotted by some countries as they used animals to test on their products.
I know & agreed that commercial dog food is the most convenient way to feed our dog as everyone of us have to work and we really do not have time to cook for our dogs and commercial dog food is more cheaper as compare with home-cooked meal.
For those that can afford, it's really better to cook for your dogs, it does not have to be difficult & time consuming. You can cook the food in advance during the evening and warm the food before serving to your dogs. For myself, I cooked with a slow cooker and when approaching meal time, I heat the food up with the slow cooker before serving to my dogs.
Think about it...we are feeding rubbish, unwanted waste to our lovely dogs....
Even baby milk powders can contain Melamine...what more can be added to pet food...

2 comments:

Wen said...

Hi Kon,

I totally agreed with you but there are still premium brands of dog food in the market that contain human grade ingredients.

In Singapore, premium brand dog foods are not sold in supermarkets. We had to get it from petshops. Some of the premium brands are Wellness, Addiction, Nature Variety, Timberwolf, Solidgold etcs. The kibbles my dogs are on had no meat by product & corn meal.

If totally feeding on homecooked food, I think we have to add supplements inorder to have a balance diet. For me, I feeding 40%homecooked and 60% kibbles.

However, some dogs have super allergy skin, so is advisable to feed on raw diet or home cooked food. Nowaday, more dog owners bother to find out what is good for their dogs unlike in the old days, dogs will eat what the owner eat.

Kon said...

Hi Wen

Agreed with you but it's really hard to get premium dog foods in Brunei, we only have Pedigree & Purina. As I am feeding my dogs home-cooked meal so I give them vitamin tablets daily as supplements..