Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Biscuit making

Most of the basic dog biscuit ingredients are simple like whole wheat flour, eggs, honey, dog's milk powder, canola oil, chicken or beef broth and for a premium biscuit that include fish, chicken or beef liver, minced beef or chicken, carrot, pumpkin, barley or apple...will take up more time to do the preparation.

The amount of beef or chicken broth to be used, sometime if I followed the quantity stated in the recipe book, the dough turns out to be too wet & sticky and it's impossible to roll the dough and require a lot of flour to be put on the wooden board & rolling pin. Now, I add in the liquid spoon by spoon to make sure they are in the right quantity and the dough turn out to be just the right texture.

For premium biscuit that I baked, like Fish Biscuit-my mom bought me fresh fish from the wet market and then cleaned the fish. My mom will steamed or boiled the fish, then removed the bones and only keep the meat and the fish stock. I will blend the meat & fish stock in the blender to puree. For carrot biscuits, I normally steam or boiled the carrot till cooked and then blend the cooked carrot as I am too lazy to use a fork to make the carrot into mashed carrot. Well for the chicken or liver biscuit, as usual the liver will be cleaned to remove all the fats around and cut into small pieces and fry with canola oil till cooked and again blend into puree. For barley, have to cook a few hours earlier to make sure that barley is properly cooked. And for the apples, I normally peel the skin and grated the apple by hand, I use the grated apple & the juice for the biscuits.

For the chicken broth or beef broth, I normally use freshly cooked one that prepared in the morning.

All my basic biscuits are coated with a layer of egg yolk to make the biscuit looks shinny and smells yummy too.

It's time consuming, I normally start baking in the afternoon, if there are more than 2 types of biscuits to be baked, I will have to bake until 8pm or 9pm. The biscuit stick is more easier to make as I only need to roll the dough by hand into a stick shape, I do not have to cut the dough one by ine using a cookie cutter.

These dog biscuits require at least 30 minutes to bake...

No comments: